- Marshmallow icing:
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Purple and turquoise food coloring
- Mini cupcakes:
- 1 package chocolate cake mix, prepared according to package
- 1 (12-ounce bag) semisweet dark chocolate, melted
- 24 sugar flowers
- To decorate:
- 20 ounces chocolate, melted
- 20 sugar flowers
- For the icing: In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, combine all ingredients except food coloring on medium speed until frothy.
- In a double boiler, cook the frothy egg mixture until it reaches 160 degrees. Return mixture to the mixer and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Divide icing into two small bowls. Dye one bowl turquoise and the other purple. On a piece of plastic wrap, pipe out several strips of icing side by side, alternating colors after each strip. Roll up the plastic wrap into a log. Cut one end off, and fit into a piping bag with a round pastry tip.
- For the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mini muffin tin with cupcake liners, fill halfway with prepared chocolate cake batter. Bake for 12 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Using the prepared icing, pipe a tall swirl on top of each mini cupcake. Freeze for at least 1 hour until solid.
- Place melted chocolate in a bowl. Dip the icing part of each frozen cupcake in melted chocolate, then garnish with sugar flowers.
- To assemble: Coat the inside of each half of a giant cupcake mold with melted chocolate by tapping and swirling the chocolate around. Allow excess chocolate to drip off. Place both halves in the fridge to cool for 3 minutes. Once the chocolate is set, pop out the chocolate shell by gently peeling away the silicone mold.
- Fill the bottom of the cupcake shell with the mini cupcakes. Pipe a thin line of melted chocolate along the rim of the shell as glue. Attachthe top part of the cupcake shell. Garnish with more sugar flowers.